Patricia Gay’s Three Cheese Crisp Sandwich
2 slices sourdough bread, 1/2 inch thick
2 ounces Fontina cheese, grated on large holes of a box grater
2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated on large holes of a box grater
2 Parmesan Crisps (See recipe below)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
1. In a small bowl combine butter and rosemary.
2. Spread half the rosemary butter on outside of one slice of bread.
3. On the unbuttered side, sprinkle with the grated Fontina cheese. Cover with two Parmesan Crisps, then sprinkle with the grated Gruyere cheese.
4. Top with second slice of bread, spread the top with the remaining rosemary butter.
5. Place sandwich in a non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium/medium high heat. Place a 9-ounce cook’s press weight on top (or other weight or just flatten with a small flat metal lid or spatula) and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip and top with weight/lid/spatula and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until that side is golden brown.
6. Remove from pan, cut sandwich in half and garnish with a Parmesan Crisp.
These can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container until ready to use. This recipe will make more crisps than needed for one sandwich.
8 tablespoons fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (Use imported Italian cheese, not domestic it’s too oily, and never the canned green stuff, it won’t crisp), grated on the large holes of a box grater.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a rectangular baking pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
3. Place a 2 1/2-inch biscuit/cookie-cutter on the mat at least one inch from the top and side of the pan, and sprinkle one tablespoon of cheese evenly into the mold. Remove mold and repeat with remaining cheese, spacing cheese mounds at least one-inch apart from each other and the sides of the pan.
4. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese crisps start to turn golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and let set a minute, then remove crisps and place on cooling rack until cool. Yield 8 crisps.