UPDATED 11:40AM: The Weston Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call about a car fire next to a house at 74 Eleven O’Clock Road Thursday night, May 2.
Fire Chief John Pokorny said the call came in from the resident of the house at about 9:20 and firefighters arrived on the scene about six minutes later. The homeowner had pulled the car, a Mazda, into the driveway of his house, knowing the car was overheating, Chief Pokorny said. After going inside to get a fire extinguisher, the homeowner returned to find the car in flames.
Firefighter Mark Blake said the homeowner called back a few minutes after the initial call and stated he heard explosions and it appeared the fire had spread to the house. Chief Pokorny said the gas tank never exploded, but the tires and pistons can often pop when a car catches fire, and that makes an exploding sound.
Chief Pokorny said by the time firefighters arrived, the car was already a total loss, and so the department concentrated first on protecting the attached garage the car was parked next to, and the house. There was “superficial damage” to the garage and some light smoke in the house, which was cleared with fans and venting, Chief Pokorny said.
“Had we gotten there a few minutes later, it would have been a different story,” he said.
There were no injuries as a result of the fire.