Boys basketball: Red Devils hold off Weston

Weston High’s Pascal Arvoy guards Stratford’s Arron Smith during a boys varsity basketball game last Tuesday, Jan. 29. Weston lost 56-54.—Vivian Simons photo

It is beginning to become a familiar situation for the Weston High boys varsity basketball team this season.

Once again the Trojans went down to the wire with an opponent when they hosted Stratford last Tuesday. Jan. 29. Overcoming a slow start, they remained a threat right until the end before losing 56-54.

It was the fifth game for Weston that was decided by two points or less.

“We’re putting ourselves in a position early in games that we shouldn’t be in,” said Weston head coach Mike Hvizdo. “You have a bad first quarter or first half and have to get out of a hole.”

While the Trojans did trail early they were not far behind by any means. Down 12-10 after one frame, they actually made it a one-point game by the time the half ended with the Red Devils up 28-27.

Weston did not totally erase the gap in the second half but did make it close in the time remaining. Stratford was called for a foul on a Weston three-point shot with two seconds left. Charlie DiPasquale sank all three free throws that followed but Weston did not get another opportunity to get one more shot from the field.

“We were a lot bigger,” said Hvizdo. “We were deeper. That was a game we should’ve won.

Erik Dammen-Brower led Weston with 18 points. DiPasquale sank 12 and had six rebounds and four assists.

Asher Lee-Tyson scored nine with seven assists and seven rebounds. Grant Limone scored eight with 11 rebounds and Pascal Arvoy scored two and led Weston in rebounds with 12.

Weston was back on the court the next day to host Trumbull in a game that was pushed back from the previous Monday due to the weather. a strong second-half performance was the key in a 70-56 non-league win.

Jumping out to a 15-9 lead in the first quarter, the Trojans led by as many as 11 at one point but the Eagles would not go away. Gradually chipping away at the lead, they tied it at 28-28 at the end of the first half.

Hvizdo noted his team came out with a great effort at the start of the second half and outscored the competition by a 2-1 margin for the third quarter to take an eight-point lead. Both sides had their best offensive performances in the final frame, each netting more than 20 points with the Trojans increasing their lead.

DiPasquale led Weston with 19 points and had five rebounds with four assists. Lee-Tyson netted 15 with five rebounds and helped on defense with four steals.

Limone sank 10 and Arvoy had two. They tied for the lead in rebounds with 14 apiece.

“They’ve been doing a very nice job,” said Hvizdo. “I couldn’t ask for anything more of them.”

Needing one more win to qualify for the state Class M tournament the Trojans were hoping to get it when they traveled to Danbury to take on Immaculate on Friday. A slow start meant they would have to wait another day in a 63-54 loss.

“We came out flat,” said Hvizdo, comparing the contest to the Stratford game. “We didn’t come out with intensity.”

The Mustangs, however, came out fast by taking an 18-9 lead after one quarter and were up by 10 (31-21) at halftime. Weston got in gear in the fourth quarter and outscored the competition for the second half but not enough to close the gap.

DiPasquale’s 20 points led Weston. He had three steals on defense. Lee-Tyson scored 10 and had three assists.

Limone and Matt Folger each scored eight, the former leasing in rebounds and the latter getting four. Dammen-Brower scored four and had 12 rebounds.

Now 7-8 overall and 4-5 in the South-West Conference, Weston visits Newtown on Friday and hosts Bunnell on Tuesday. Both games are at 7 p.m.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Weston Forum, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress