Boys basketball: Trojans snap losing streak

Grant Limone scored four points for the Weston High boys varsity basketball team in its game at Notre Dame last Friday, Jan. 11. Weston lost 70-51 but beat New Milford 67-65 on Monday.—Vivian Simons photo

It may not have been the best played game of the season so far but the Weston High boys varsity basketball team did a number of things right when it took on New Milford on Monday.

The Trojans missed a number of shots and committed their fair share of turnovers in the contest, due in part to New Milford’s press defense. However, they also scored some key points when necessary and their defense held up in a close 67-65 win in the Green Wave’s home gym.

Such was the third game in four outings for Weston that was decided by two points or less. It also stopped a five-game losing streak and was Weston’s first South-West Conference win of the season.

“It was a sloppy game but a well-deserved win,” said Weston head coach Mike Hvizdo. “It gives us some confidence.”

A seesaw battle from the start, the game featured six lead changes in the first quarter alone. Led by Erik Dammen-Brower (seven points) and Asher Lee-Tyson (five points), Weston kept pace with the hosts for much of the way.

New Milford was helped by its ability to hit the three-point shot, sinking 10 on the night. Back-to-back ones by Nick Ehrets and Dylan Kartchner, followed by one from Scott Ehrets with less than two minutes to go in the frame put the hosts up 21-15.

Weston was soon limited as to how much it could use Asher Lee-Tyson, who picked up his third foul in the period, which ended with Kyle Koestner hitting a buzzer-beater to make it 25-19.

Defensively, the Trojans turned it up a notch in the next frame, holding the Green Wave to a mere seven points. Starting the quarter with a 10-point run, Weston took the lead and held a slim 33-32 advantage at halftime.

The Green Wave continued to use the three-point shot, which helped in an 8-0 run at the start of the second half. Weston followed with a 10-3 run of its own with Charlie DiPasquale, Ethan Lee-Tyson. Dammen-Brower and Asher Lee-Tyson all hitting shots, including one by the former just before the buzzer to make it 43-43 heading into the final frame.

Both sides picked up offensively in the remaining time, sinking several three-point shots. Back-to-back ones by Asher Lee-Tyson put Weston up 53-51 with 4:31 left to go.

Key foul shooting also helped as Weston sank seven of eight shots from the line. Matt Folger hit both ends of a one-and-one with 51 seconds to go and Ethan Lee-Tyson did likewise with 25.7 left to keep Weston in the lead.

That was still enough time for the Green Wave to tie it. Joe McKay hit a shot with 16.3 seconds to go and was fouled on the play, sinking the free throw that followed.

The game-winner turned out to be a hook shot in the lane by Asher-Lee-Tyson with four seconds to go. The Green Wave’s final shot was a long three-pointer by McKay that bounced off the rim, giving Weston the win.

Asher Lee-Tyson led Weston with 21 points, including one three-pointer, and had four assists. Defensively, he had four steals. Dammen-Brower scored 15 and led Weston with 17 rebounds and two blocked shots.

Ethan Lee-Tyson scored 10 with eight assists and had six steals on defense. Grant Limone sank eight and had 15 rebounds. DiPasquale netted seven with one three-pointer. Folger scored four  with 12 rebounds and Jordan Schaffer added two.

Weston, now 2-5 overall, hosts Brookfield on Friday and is at Kolbe-Cathedral on Tuesday. Both games are at 7 p.m.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Weston Forum, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress