Weston: What can FEMA do for you?

What is FEMA disaster assistance?

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website, FEMA assistance is for property that has been damaged or destroyed as a result of a federally-declared disaster, and whose losses are not covered by insurance.

It is meant to help with critical expenses that cannot be covered in other ways. This assistance is not intended to restore damaged property to its condition before the disaster.

Why can you apply? 

Fairfield County has been declared a federal disaster area.

Apply to FEMA in one of three ways:

  • Online:  DisasterAssistance.gov
  • Smartphone:  m.fema.gov
  • Phone: 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities)

What information do you need to apply?

Whether applying online at DisasterAssistance.gov from your computer or smartphone, or over the phone through a FEMA call center, you should have a pen and paper and the following information ready:

  • Social Security number;
  • Current and pre-disaster address;
  • A telephone number where you can be contacted;
  • Insurance information;
  • Total household annual income;
  • A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account). Look up your bank routing number.
  • A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.

After you’ve completed your application for assistance, you will receive a FEMA application number. Write down this number and keep it for future reference.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Weston Forum, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress