More than 250 people attended the opening reception and awards ceremony for the 22nd annual Juried Student Exhibition of the Silvermine School of Art in New Canaan Sunday, June 24.
Anne Connell, school director, presented the awards. “This juried exhibition is open to all students of the school and for all ages, from youth to adult. It’s a wonderful opportunity for everyone to share in recognizing the hard work and achievements of each of the award winners and for the general public to view the fine art and creative energy that is generated by the student body,” she said.
The Student Exhibition is on view through July 26 in the Silvermine Galleries.
This year’s juror was Nathan Lewis, assistant professor of art at Sacred Heart University.
The Best in Show was awarded to Claudia Renfro from Pound Ridge, N.Y., for her paper and print titled “Nude.”
In the youth category (ages 11 to 17), the Best in Show went to Mikal Berson (age 15) of Weston for his charcoal entitled “Woman.”
For the five to 10 age group, eight-year-old Soren Covell of New Canaan won Best in Show for his acrylic titled “Grass Green Starfish.”
In addition to Mikal Berson, winners from Weston included:
• Louisa Colas, who received Honorable Mention Jewelry (ages 11-17) for her “Spring Bee”
• Rosalind Shaffer, who received Honorable Mention Ceramics, adult category, for “Looking Up”
• Elfine Dexter, First Prize Mixed Media, (ages 11-17) for “Ten Zodiac Animals Playing”
• Aniela Dexter, First Prize Mixed Media (ages 5-10) for “3 Purple Puzzle Pieces Swimming”
• Alexa Kripke, Honorable Mention Painting (ages 5-10) for “Shadows in the Forest”
The Silvermine School of Art offers courses for all ages and levels of ability. Summer classes and summer camp programs begin July 9. An open house for the fall semester will be held on Sunday, Aug. 30, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
For more information, call 203-966-9668, ext. 2, or visit silvermineart.org.