Chimney fire hits Catbrier Road home in Weston

A chimney fire on Catbrier Road was contained by the WVFD before it could spread. — Mark Blake, WVFD photo

A chimney fire on Catbrier Road was contained by the WVFD before it could spread. — Mark Blake, WVFD photo

The Weston Volunteer Fire Department responded to the first chimney fire of the season this past Saturday, Sept. 26, at noon at 61 Catbrier Road.

The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the chimney area, according to Mark Blake, spokesman for the WVFD.

He said chimney fires are quite common this time of year. A common cause of chimney fires is creosote inside the chimney catching fire and burning inside the chimney. Creosote is a byproduct of burning that coats the inside of a chimney.

Chimney liners or structural problems can allow high temperatures, sparks and embers to escape to combustible areas in walls, roofs or attics, Blake said.

The department recommends homeowners get a regular annual chimney cleaning by a reputable chimney sweep.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Weston Forum, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress