During the early morning hours of Wednesday, Nov. 27, the day before Thanksgiving, there was a windy rainstorm, and the fire department responded to three automatic alarms.
At 5:53 a.m., the department responded to a call about smoke in a house on Echo Hill Road. Weston fire Chief John Pokorny said some paper caught on fire on top of a furnace, which caused smoke throughout the house. “It was not a fire, it was nothing more than smoke,” he said.
A little later, at 6:22, the department received a call about a fire on Arlen Road. Because the department was still tied up at Echo Hill Road, it asked for assistance from Westport. A fully engaged fire was discovered in the basement of the house.
It caused quite a bit of smoke but was contained in the laundry room of the basement, Chief Pokorny said. Weston responded to the fire as backup.
“Power was out in that section of the town, so the fire may have started out as power-related,” the chief said.
A final call was received that day at 7:43 p.m., when sparks were reported flying from a stovetop at a home on Pilgrim Lane. “It didn’t turn into a fire, and we disconnected the gas,” Chief Pokorny said.
On Sunday, Dec. 1, shortly after noon, the department responded to an oven fire on Tower Drive. “Some food caught on fire and the resident was able to put it out with a fire extinguisher,” the chief said.