Weston Volunteer Fire Department responded to a car fire on Valley Forge Road on Wednesday afternoon, July 17. The car, an older model Ford Crown Victoria, was a total loss, but there were no injuries.
Weston Fire chief John Pokorny said the department received a call from the driver, who had pulled over to the side road when the car started overheating and smoking before catching fire. Both the driver and a passenger were able to get out of the car and were uninjured.
Chief Pokorny said the fire was caused by a mechanical problem. “It was an older car and it was a really hot day. These things happen sometimes,” he said.
Firefighters arrived quickly, the chief said, but the car was engulfed in flames by the time they got there.
There was also some damage to a wooden fence next to where the car was stopped.